College: What is it Good For?
Main papers discussed during episode:
– All the work by Raj Chetty and co-authors can be found at http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/documents/
– Hoxby C. and C. Avery (2013), “The Missing “One-Offs”: The Hidden Supply of High-Achieving, Low Income Students https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/2013a_hoxby.pdf
Papers using natural experiments:
– Twins Studies: Orley Ashenfelter and Alan Krueger, “Estimates of the Economic Return to Schooling from a New Sample of Twins,” The American Economic Review Vol. 84, No. 5 (Dec., 1994), pp. 1157-1173. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2117766
– Regression Discontinuity Design: Hoeckstra (2009) The Effect of Attending the Flagship State University on Earnings: A Discontinuity-Based Approach , The Review of Economics and Statistics Volume 91, Issue 4. https://doi.org/10.1162/rest.91.4.717
– Lotteries: Bulman, George, Bulman, Robert Fairlie, Sarena Goodman, Adam Isen (2017) “Parental Resources and College Attendance: Evidence from Lottery Wins” http://www.nber.org/papers/w22679